Sunday, September 28, 2014

Literature Analysis #1: Wuthering Heights

I chose to read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

Brief Summary:
A man named Lockwood rents a manor called Thrushcross Grange in a small, isolated town during the winter of 1801. He meets his misanthropic landlord, Heathcliff, who lives in the only other manor on the property called Wuthering Heights. Intrigued by the man's odd behavior, Lockwood asks his maid, Nelly Dean, for information on his landlord's past, which she describes in extreme detail. As a child back in 1770, Heathcliff was taken in by the Earnshaw family. There, he met Catherine Earnshaw, who quickly became both his best friend as well as his true love. She also found herself falling for him, despite his dark skin and brown eyes. As they grew older, their feelings towards each other became more passionate, but it became clear that their love was doomed, especially when issues with social class made their way into the novel. The story then follows a long line of revenge, heartbreak, jealousy, and internal struggles that revolve around the damaging yet eternal love shared by Heathcliff and Catherine.

Theme(s):
This story mainly revolves around the theme of the destructiveness of an everlasting yet doomed love, as well as the theme of the importance of social class. After all, Catherine chooses to marry someone she doesn't truly love merely because he is of a higher social ranking than the one she really loves. This creates a forbidden love between Catherine and Heathcliff, which causes most--if not, all--conflicts in the novel. The author, Emily Brontë, most likely wrote about these topics because these ideas were extremely controversial, yet they sparked interest and impressed people living in the Victorian age of the mid-1800s.
***Irrelevant Fact: Since women authors weren't taken seriously during that time period, Emily Brontë wrote under the pen name Ellis Bell.

Why Was This Book Chosen?
I chose this book because it was one of the titles that was near the top of the AP Reading List. While reading about this book, I found the supernatural and romantic qualities of this book appealing. When I started reading, I must admit, I nearly switched novels. However, I reached a point where I couldn't put it down! I think the part that kept me reading was the idea of heartbreak and the pain that Catherine and Heathcliff had to undergo. I loved the inner conflict that the characters suffered with, such as when Catherine had to determine whether she should marry for love or for wealth. Also, it was interesting to watch Heathcliff's kind heart slowly morph into one that wished for nothing but revenge.

Was This Story Realistic?
I found this story quite realistic, since all humans experience the feelings of heartbreak, misery, jealousy, and spite at some point(s) in their lives. I found myself able to relate to Nelly Dean because she always gives her honest opinion, even when it isn't exactly what someone wants to hear. 

Tone:
Brontë's tone used in Wuthering Heights is probably best described as dark and grim. This theme is shown all throughout the novel, especially in these three exerpts:
•Wuthering Heights is described as, “...the atmospheric tumult to which its station is exposed to in stormy weather... and by a range of gaunt thorns all stretching their limbs one way, as if craving alms of the sun" (p7).
•After one of Catherine's outbursts, Nelly says, “There was no moon, and everything beneath lay in misty darkness: not a light gleamed from any house, far or near all had been extinguished long ago: and those at Wuthering Heights were never visible—still she asserted she caught their shining" (p363).
•Heathcliff is described later in the novel as, “...appearance of joy under his black brows; the same bloodless hue, and his teeth visible, now and then, in a kind of smile; his frame shivering, not as one shivers with chill or weakness, but as a tight-stretched cord vibrates—a strong thrilling, rather than trembling" (p943).

Ten Literary Elements:
1. Personification: "...a range of gaunt thorns all stretching their limbs one way, as if craving alms of the sun." (p7).
2. Alliteration: "...the first feathery snowflakes of a snow-shower." (p21)
3. Metaphor: “...a vicious cur that appears to know the kicks it gets are its desert, and yet hates all the world, as well as the kicker, for what it suffers.” (p158). This metaphor describes Heathcliff's personality.
4. Simile: “...and her eyes sparkled as bright as diamonds.” (p125). This simile shows young Catherine's beauty.
5. Dramatic Irony: “he [Heathcliff] shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he’s handsome, Nelly, but because he’s more myself than I am.  Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same" (p229). This is dramatic irony because Heathcliff had left only moments before Catherine had expressed her true feelings for him because he heard that she had accepted Edgar Linton's proposal.
6. Situational Irony: “It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now” (p229). This is an example of situational irony because Catherine claims it would ruin her to marry Heathcliff because he is of a much lower class than she wished to be. However, right after she marries Edgar Linton, Heathcliff returns with an inexplicable yet large amount of money.
7. Symbolism: “Do you know that you run a risk of being lost in the marshes?  People familiar with these moors often miss their road..." (p30) and “But it was one of their [Heathcliff and Catherine] chief amusements to run away to the moors in the morning and remain there all day” (p128) show the symbolic nature of the murky, damp, dangerous moors. Being the duo's favorite place, it symbolizes the idea of their love being "dangerous" to themselves.
8. Allusion: “...were journeying to hear the famous Jabez Branderham preach, from the text—‘Seventy Times Seven;' and either Joseph, the preacher, or I had committed the 'First of the Seventy-First'..." (p62). Seventy Times Seven refers to Matthew 18:22 when he asks the lord how many times to forgive a man's sins. In Lockwood's dream, he is traveling to see who has committed the 491st sin; the unforgivable sin.
9. Flashback: “Before I came to live here, she commenced—waiting no farther invitation to her story—I was almost always at Wuthering Heights..." (p97). This signifies the start of the Heathcliff's story, which is actually one large flashback from Nelly Dean's memory.
10. Hyperbole: “Nelly, I am Heathcliff!” (p234) Catherine says this while professing her love for Heathcliff. While she is obviously not Heathcliff, she is saying she and Heathcliff are so emotionally attached to each other that they are like one person.

Direct/Indirect Characterization:
Direct characterization and indirect characterization are two important elements of any novel because they help the reader form an opinion of the character(s) based on their personalities. While direct characterization involves the author telling the reader a character's exact personality, indirect characterization involves the author providing details through speech, attire, and appearance to help the reader infer the character's personality.
1. Direct Characterization
•“...they [Isabella and Edward] are spoiled children, and fancy the world was made for their accommodation...” (p290). This directly tells the reader that the Linton children are spoiled and aim to please only themselves.
•“Mr. Edgar because he is handsome, and young, and cheerful..." (p222). This directly tells the reader that Edgar Linton is a cheerful young man.
2. Indirect Characterization
•“...his black eyes withdraw so suspiciously under their brows, as I rode up, and when his fingers sheltered themselves, with a jealous resolution, still further in his waistcoat.” (p3). This lets the reader assume that Heathcliff is a misanthropic, cold man.
•“'Oh, I will die,’ she exclaimed, ‘since no one cares anything about me.'” (p346). When Catherine says this, it leads the reader to believe that she is one who tends to dramatize, as well as indulge in self-pity. 

Syntax/Diction
There is more than one narrator, therefore the syntax and diction change depending on who is telling the story. However, while focusing on Heathcliff the diction tends to be quite formal, though he tends to slip into a more neutral speech from time to time, especially during his early years.

Is The Character Dynamic/Static? Round/Flat?
I would have to say Heathcliff is a dynamic character. In his early years, he was a patient, loving young man. However, he slowly fell into a downward spiral after Catherine chose to marry another man. Heartbroken, he became cold-hearted, anti-social, and violent. I would also have to say he was a flat character because despite his changes in character, there was never any evidence of him possessing multiple character traits at one time.

How Realistic Were the Characters?
Although they were entertaining, I found it extremely difficult to picture the characters as real people since they were very dramatic. Also, they spoke in an extremely proper matter, even in casual conversations. The biggest example of this in the novel probably has to be when Hindley tries to shoot Heathcliff, simply because of the dramatic nature of it. “The charge exploded, and the knife, in springing back, closed into its owner’s wrist.  Heathcliff pulled it away by main force, slitting up the flesh as it passed on, and thrust it dripping into his pocket.” (p511).

Most Memorable Moment:
The most memorable moment in the novel, in my opinion, is the speech Heathcliff gives to Catherine's dead body. I find it unforgettable because it shows that he truly loves her, even though she chose another man over him. My favorite part of his speech is definitely, “I have not broken your heart—you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine...“Kiss me again; and don’t let me see your eyes!  I forgive what you have done to me.  I love my murderer—but yours!  How can I?” (p463,464)

**Excerpts From: Brontë, Emily. “Wuthering Heights.” iBooks. 
This material may be protected by copyright.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book to read since I really like books about the forbidden love type of thing. I just don't know if I'd enjoy it as much as I would if it didn't have such a formal diction. Great job though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good book I might look into reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye bruther this book seems boring ;) just kidding good job

    ReplyDelete
  4. All pro... This book sounds pretty interesting. Good job on everything!! I might read it.

    ReplyDelete